The mission of the Connecticut Judicial Branch is to serve the interests of justice and the public by resolving matters brought before it in a fair, timely, efficient and open manner.

FAQ: How do I change my name?

by Mazur, Catherine


In general, an adult who wants to change their name can file an Application for Change of Name, along with an Affidavit, with their local Probate Court. The Probate Court publishes a pamphlet on the Procedure for Applying to the Probate Court for Change of Name, which provides a overview of the process.

According to Connecticut General Statutes sec. 45a-99 "(a) The courts of probate shall have concurrent jurisdiction with the Superior Court, as provided in section 52-11, to grant a change of name, except a change of name granted in accordance with subsection (a) of section 46b-63..."

As noted in the statute cited above, there is an alternative procedure for requesting a restoration of your maiden name after a divorce. For more information, see CTLawHelp's guide on How to Get Your Maiden Name Back After a Divorce.

More questions about Connecticut law on names and name change? Then visit our Law about Name Changes page for links to additional legal references and resources.