Media Resource Center
Quick Links
Media Photographer
Fast Facts
Latest News |  News Archive
Media Links
Public Data Requests

Frequently Asked Media Questions

Frequently Asked Media Questions

Administration, Organization & Responsibilities

  1. Who heads the Judicial Branch?

    The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is the head of the Judicial Branch and is responsible for its administration. See Section 51-1b of the Connecticut General Statutes. The chief court administrator is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Judicial Branch.

  2. What does the chief court administrator do?

    The chief justice appoints the chief court administrator to oversee the administration of the Judicial Branch. Section 51-5a of the Connecticut General Statutes outlines the duties and powers of the chief court administrator, who is assisted by the deputy chief court administrator.

    The chief court administrator oversees five divisions within the branch: Administrative Services, Court Support Services, External Affairs, Information Technology, and Superior Court Operations. An executive director manages each of the five divisions and reports to the chief court administrator.

  3. What is a chief administrative judge/administrative judge/presiding judge?

    The chief court administrator appoints chief administrative judges to oversee the following Superior Court divisions: civil, criminal, family and juvenile. Their duties include working on behalf of and with the chief court administrator on policy matters affecting their respective areas.

    The chief court administrator also appoints administrative judges and presiding judges. Administrative judges oversee the administrative operations of the state’s 13 judicial districts. In addition, each judicial district has an assistant administrative judge.

    Presiding judges expedite the fair disposition of court business within a particular judicial district. They also apportion among judges the judicial business to which such judge and other judges have been assigned.


  4. What is the organization of the courts?

    The Supreme Court is the state’s highest court. It reviews decisions made in the Superior Court to determine if any errors of law have occurred and also reviews selected decisions of the Appellate Court.

    The Appellate Court, like the Supreme Court, reviews final decisions issued by the Superior Court to determine if errors of law have occurred.

    State law specifies which types of appeals may be brought directly to the Supreme Court from the Superior Court, bypassing the Appellate Court. These cases include decisions where the Superior Court has found a provision of the state constitution or a state statute invalid, and convictions of capital felonies.

    The Superior Court hears all legal matters except those over which the Probate Courtimage has exclusive jurisdiction.

  5. How are the Superior Courts structured?

    The Superior Court hears civil, criminal, family and juvenile matters.

    Connecticut has 13 judicial districts (JD) in which civil, criminal, family and juvenile matters are heard. Each “JD” has at least one JD courthouse and one “geographical area” court, although some judicial districts may have more than one GA court location. There are 17 GA courts in the state.

    Civil jury, civil non-jury, administrative appeals and family matters generally are heard in a JD courthouse.

    GA courts typically handle all arraignments, regardless of the severity of the crime. Each GA court receives criminal cases from a specified group of towns. Thus, where an alleged crime occurs determines in which GA the case will begin.

    GA courts handle misdemeanors, felonies, and motor vehicle violations that require a court appearance. The most serious criminal offenses (i.e. capital felony, murder) are transferred from a GA to the JD level, commonly called “Part A.” Statistics for both the JD and GA courts are here.

    For more information about the JD and GA courts, please see the Judicial Branch directory.

  6. What about housing and small claims matters?

    Cases involving housing matters (evictions, civil, and criminal jury and non-jury) are heard in special housing sessions in the Bridgeport, Hartford, New Britain, New Haven, Stamford-Norwalk and Waterbury judicial districts. In all other judicial districts, housing cases are part of the regular civil docket.

    Small claims matters also are part of the civil division. More small claims information.

  7. Who do I contact about Probate Court?

    If you have a question about Probate Court, please contact the Office of the Probate Court Administrator at (860) 231-2442.

  8. What are special sessions of the Superior Court?

    The Superior Court has nine special sessions: Child Protection Session; the Complex Litigation Docket; Habeas Docket; Land Use Litigation Docket; Community Court in Hartford; Domestic Violence Dockets; Housing Session; Regional Family Trial Docket; and Tax Session.

  9. Where can I find our information about jurors? May I see the juror questionnaire?

    • Jury FAQs
    • Juror questionnaires are confidential under Section 51-232(c) of the Connecticut General Statutes.

  10. Who oversees the discipline of lawyers?

    Through the inherent authority of the court, the Judicial Branch oversees attorney discipline through the Statewide Grievance Committee, the Statewide Bar Counsel's Office and the Chief Disciplinary Counsel's Office. Decisions of the Statewide Grievance Committee may be accessed online.

    The grievance process begins when a complaint is filed with the Statewide Bar Counsel. The Chief Disciplinary Counsel’s Office pursues those complaints before the Statewide Grievance Committee when there is a finding of probable cause. The Chief Disciplinary Counsel’s Office also litigates disciplinary matters in court.

    The Connecticut Practice Book contains the Rules of Professional Conduct and the grievance procedure.

    An attorney's status, including the imposition of public discipline, if any, is available on the Judicial Branch’s website. Complaints against an attorney are not public unless and until probable cause is found to pursue the grievance. 

  11. What is the Connecticut Practice Book? How can I get a copy?

    The Judicial Branch’s Commission on Official Legal Publications publishes the Connecticut Practice Book annually. It contains the Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys, the Code of Judicial Conduct, the Rules for Superior Court, and the Rules of Appellate Procedure. The Practice Book is available on the Judicial Branch's website.

  12. How are the rules in the Connecticut Practice Book made?

    The Rules Committee of the Superior Court, which is composed of judges and chaired by an associate justice of the Supreme Court, considers proposed changes to the rules of practice and may recommend amendments.


    If the Rules Committee decides to pursue a proposed change, a public hearing usually is held at the end of May. After the public hearing, and if the committee recommends the proposal for adoption, it then goes before the entire bench for a vote at the judges’ annual meeting. This meeting usually occurs in June and is open to the public. If the judges decide that circumstances require adopting a new rule or a rule change between annual meetings, the procedures in Section 1-9 of the Practice Book set out the mechanism for doing so.

  13. Does the Judicial Branch oversee probation?

    Yes. Adult probation and bail services are part of the Judicial Branch’s Court Support Services Division (CSSD).

  14. What is the difference between a probation officer and a parole officer?

    Probation officers work for the Judicial Branch as part of the Court Support Services Division. Parole officers are part of the Department of Correction, imagewhich is under the Executive Branch. The responsibilities and authority of probation officers and parole officers also differ.

  15. Are prosecutors and public defenders part of the Judicial Branch?

    Prosecutors are not Judicial Branch employees. They work for the Division of Criminal Justice,image which is part of the Executive Branch.

    The public defenders are part of the Judicial Branch for administrative purposes only. The Public Defender Services Commission is the policy-making body and appointing authority for the Division of Public Defender Services. Section 51-289(j) of the Connecticut General Statutes says that the commission is an “an autonomous body within the judicial department for fiscal and budgetary purposes only.” Thus, while the commission is part of the judicial branch, it is otherwise autonomous.

  16. What is the difference between a state marshal and a judicial marshal?

    Judicial marshals are Judicial Branch employees who provide courthouse security and prisoner transportation. State marshals are independent contractors who serve civil process and are overseen by the State Marshal Commission. Neither the state marshals nor the commission fall under the Judicial Branch’s jurisdiction.

  17. Is the Office of Victim Services the same as the Office of Victim Advocate?

    No. The Office of Victim Services (OVS), which provides compensation and other services to crime victims, is part of the Judicial Branch. Court-based victim advocates are part of OVS.

    The Office of Victim Advocate (OVA) is an independent state agency that evaluates and monitors how crime victims are treated by the state’s criminal justice system. The OVA is not part of the Judicial Branch.

  18. What is the Centralized Infractions Bureau?

    The Judicial Branch in 1986 centralized the processing of infractions under the Centralized Infractions Bureau (CIB). An infraction is the breaking of a state law, regulation or ordinance that does not require going to court. Individuals may resolve the infraction by paying the amount to the CIB online, by mail or in person.

    Certain violations are payable by mail to the CIB.



  1. How many judges are there?

    Under Section 51-165 of the Connecticut General Statutes, the number of authorized judgeships is 201, including the justices of the Supreme Court, the judges of the Appellate Court and the judges of the Superior Court.

  2. How does someone become a judge?

    Under state law, the Judicial Selection Commissionimage seeks and recommends to the governor qualified individuals for nomination as judges. The governor must choose candidates from the approved list. The governor then refers his or her nominees to the General Assembly’s Judiciary Committee for confirmation after a public hearing. Both chambers of the Legislature must approve the nominees.

    If the legislature is not in session when the governor nominates prospective judges, interim appointments may occur. The prospective judge or judges appear before the Legislature’s Judiciary Committee at a public hearing and may be approved by the committee as an interim appointment. During the next regular session of the General Assembly, the judge must again appear before the Judiciary Committee at a public hearing and then be approved by members of the Judiciary Committee, the House of Representatives and the Senate.

    Judges serve eight-year terms; upon expiration of their term, they may be reappointed. The Judicial Selection Commission, the governor, the Judiciary Committee and both chambers of the General Assembly must again approve judges who are up for reappointment.

  3. Does the Judicial Branch oversee the Judicial Selection Commission?

    No. The Judicial Selection Commissionimage (860-256-2957) is an independent, non-partisan commission of lawyers and non-lawyers appointed by the governor and leadership of the General Assembly to seek and approve qualified applicants for judgeships. The commission also evaluates incumbent judges who seek reappointment and forwards to the governor for consideration the names of those judges recommended for reappointment. The Judicial Selection Commission’s powers are outlined in Section 51-44a of the Connecticut General Statutes.

  4. What is the Judicial Review Council?

    The Judicial Review Councilimage (860-566-5424) investigates complaints against judges and may initiate an investigation. Its powers and composition are outlined in sections 51-51k and 51-51l of the Connecticut General Statutes. The Judicial Branch does not oversee the Judicial Review Council.

  5. What is a judge trial referee/senior Judge?

    Age 70 is the constitutionally mandatory retirement age for Supreme Court justices, Appellate Court judges and Superior Court judges. Judge trial referees are judges who are 70 years or older and who have been designated by the chief justice to hear certain types of cases prescribed by statute.

    Senior judges have retired from full-time active service, but they have not reached age 70. Senior judges are constitutional officers who have all of the authority that Superior Court judges have.

  6. Who makes judges’ assignments? How often do they occur?

    The chief court administrator, in consultation with the deputy chief court administrator, assigns Superior Court judges. These assignments generally occur annually and typically run from September of one year to the end of August in the succeeding year. However, reassignments also may occur during the court year. The Judicial Branch website lists the assignments of all judges as well as all of the judges at a particular court location.

  7. How much do judges earn?

    Judges' salaries are set by the Legislature and are outlined in Section 51-47 of the Connecticut General Statutes.

  8. Will a judge comment on a particular case before him/her?

    Rule 2.10 of the Code of Judicial Conduct prohibits a judge or staff from making any public statement that might reasonably be expected to affect the outcome or impair the fairness of a matter pending or impending in any court. The rule specifically allows a judge to make public statements in the course of official duties, to explain court procedures and to comment on any proceeding in which the judge is a litigant in a personal capacity.

  9. What is a magistrate?

    A magistrate is a lawyer who is not a judge but who is authorized to hear and decide certain types of cases, such as motor vehicle/small claims matters.

  10. What is a Family Support Magistrate?

    A federal mandate in 1986 for all states led to the establishment of the Family Support Magistrate Division of Superior Court. Family Support Magistrates are not judges but perform some judicial functions, such as hearing cases involving child support, spousal support and paternity.

  11. What is the Committee on Judicial Ethics?

  12. The Committee on Judicial Ethics is appointed by the chief justice to issue formal and informal advisory opinions to judicial officials regarding their ethical and professional conduct. Its opinions are based on its interpretation of the Code of Judicial Conduct, court rules and state statutes. Four of the committee’s members are judges or judge trial referees, and one of its members is a law professor specializing in professional ethics. The committee posts its activities on the Ethics Committee webpage, which also includes its annual reports, membership, minutes and agendas, and policy and rules.


Getting Information

  1. I’m awaiting a ruling from the Connecticut Supreme or Appellate Court on a case that I’ve been following. How do I check on that?

    The best way is to monitor the Judicial Branch website, where you can access advance release rulings from both the Supreme and Appellate courts. Advance release opinions are court decisions that are scheduled to be released in advance of their publication in the Connecticut Law Journal. These cases are available on the Advance Release Opinions webpage at approximately 11:30 a.m. The list of cases that will be released on any particular day is posted at 8:30 a.m. on the day of the release.

    In addition, slip opinions are court decisions whose effective dates are the same day they are issued. All juvenile court cases are released as slip opinions. When slip opinions are released, they are available at 3 p.m. on the day of the release, and they are included in a list of cases to be released that will be posted at approximately 1 p.m.

  2. When will the Supreme Court or Appellate Court release a particular opinion?

    There is no date set for the release of a Supreme Court or Appellate Court opinion. We recommend that you monitor the Judicial Branch’s website on a regular basis if you are waiting for a ruling from either the Supreme Court or Appellate Court.

  3. I have some questions regarding the Supreme Court’s opinion or the Appellate Court's opinion and what it means. Can I get an explanation?

    Judicial Branch personnel cannot comment on court opinions or explain their implications.

  4. What other information regarding the Supreme and Appellate courts is available online?


    The dockets of the Supreme and Appellate courts are accessible through the website. In addition, case information for Supreme and Appellate cases filed after Jan. 1, 1991, is available online. This information includes case status, trial court case information, names of the attorneys and parties, transcript and exhibit information, the due date of briefs and information about motion, order and transfer activity.

    In addition, Supreme Court briefs and other documents may be accessed online through the Case Look-up section . Please note that some case information is confidential under Connecticut law, including case information about juveniles and youthful offenders. Information about these cases may not be available on this site. In addition, cases for relief from physical abuse, foreign protective orders, and other matters that would be likely to publicly reveal the identity or location of a protected party may not be displayed and may be available only at the courts in accordance with the Federal Violence Against Women Act of 2005.

    The Supreme Court also makes available on its website, free of charge, audio recordings of oral arguments. Audio recordings are typically available on the website the same day as oral argument.

  5. What information is available online about Superior Court cases?

    General Information

    Civil, Housing and Small Claims Matters

    • If a matter predates mandatory e-filing of cases, then disclosable documents in a civil, housing or small claims case are unavailable through Case-Look up. The documents may be reviewed at the court clerk’s office in the Judicial District where the case is pending.
    • When jury selection begins in a civil matter, the public display via the Judicial Branch website is disabled until the jurors are dismissed or the case is disposed. E-filed documents and orders in the case may be viewed at any Judicial District courthouse and at many Geographical Area courthouses during normal business hours.
    • Livestreamed civil and housing matters are available here.
    • Understanding the display of case information.
    • How do I sign up for e-mail notification on civil, family or housing cases?

    Further information regarding housing matters is here. Further information regarding small claims matters is here.

  6. Criminal/Motor Vehicle Matters

    • Basic information such as charges and continuance dates in disclosable criminal cases may be found through Case Look-up. However, documents in criminal cases are not posted online. Documents that are disclosable in a criminal case file may be obtained through the clerk's office in the courthouse where the case is pending. Copy fees are $1 a page. Handheld scanners may be used in the clerk’s office to copy documents in a court file at no charge.
    • Conviction information is generally shown in Case Look-up for no more than 10 years after the date of sentencing unless Section 7-13 of the Connecticut Practice Book provides for a shorter period of time, in which case this information will be shown for the shorter period of time. Please note that conviction information will be removed from the website one month before the end of the period you might find in the Connecticut Practice Book.
    • Youthful offender cases, juvenile cases, and infractions and violation convictions are not displayed.
    • The official source for an individual’s full criminal history is the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection.
    • Crime victims, members of their families and members of the public may sign up for the Connecticut Statewide Automated Public Information and Notification (CT SAVIN) to receive criminal case updates and other information about a defendant.
    • Sentence Review Docket information is here.

    Family Matters

  7. How do I obtain statistics?

    The Judicial Branch has a statistics page covering various topics.

    If the requester is seeking statistics that are not available through the website, there may be a charge; please email the request to If the request involves a specific state statute, please also provide the statute number. In addition, indicate how many years’ worth of data is sought and whether the inquiry is on a statewide or local level.

  8. How do I obtain a transcript of a court hearing?

    All attorneys, unless exempt from e-filing, are required to use the online transcript ordering system to order transcripts. The online transcript ordering system is located within eServices at If you are not an attorney but are enrolled in eServices, you may also use the online transcript ordering system.

    Individuals not using the online transcript ordering system must complete the applicable transcript order form and submit it to the Court Reporter’s Office in the judicial district where the case was heard.

    The following information must be provided to order a transcript:

    • The date of the request;
    • The name of the case;
    • The docket number (if known);
    • The name of the Judge or Magistrate;
    • The name of the official court reporter or court recording monitor (if known)
    • The specific date(s) being ordered (month/day/year);
    • The specific portion(s) of proceedings requested (for example, a witness, the entire day, orders only, etc.);
    • The name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the person ordering the transcript.

    The requester may ask for an estimate of how much the transcript will cost before ordering the transcript. For more information about ordering transcripts, please view the publication "Procedures for Ordering a Court Transcript."

  9. What is a PSI? Can I get a copy?

    PSI stands for presentence investigation. Section 54-91a(a) of the General Statutes says: “No defendant convicted of a crime, other than a capital felony, the punishment for which may include imprisonment for more than a year, may be sentenced, or defendant’s case otherwise disposed of, until a written report of investigation by a probation officer has been presented to and considered by the court, if the defendant is so convicted for the first time in this state; but any court may, in its discretion, order a presentence investigation for a defendant convicted of any crime or offense other than capital felony.”

    It is not uncommon for court officials – the judge, prosecutor or public defender, for example – to refer to the PSI during a sentencing. A PSI, however, is not disclosable to the public, pursuant to Section 43-9 of the Connecticut Practice Book.

  10. Can you confirm whether someone has applied for the alcohol-education program?

    The Legislature has enacted statutory sealings in certain diversionary programs, and judges and Judicial Branch employees are bound by those requirements

    When someone applies for the pretrial alcohol-education program, the file is statutorily sealed pursuant to the General Statutes. At that point, Judicial Branch personnel cannot confirm whether someone has applied for the program, although court proceedings remain open to the public.

  11. Does the Judicial Branch manage the pretrial alcohol-education program?

    No. The State Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services operates and contracts for the program.

  12. Are there other diversionary programs available to defendants?

    Yes. A list of diversionary programs may be found here under “Criminal Publications.”

  13. What information is available regarding investigative grand juries?

    Please see Section 54-47e of the General Statutes.


Court Files

  1. What does the term “court file” mean?

    A court file is the official record of the court and includes documents from a case.

  2. What information may be contained in a court file pertaining to a criminal or motor vehicle matter?

    The contents of a file depend on the nature of the case and the charges (see Connecticut Practice Book Section 7-13 for more detailed information). Among other things, the file’s contents may include the following documents:

    1. executed arrest warrant;
    2. original affidavit in support of probable cause;
    3. summons and complaint;
    4. infraction/violation complaint;
    5. uniform arrest report (UAR);
    6. information or indictment and any substitute information;
    7. written plea of nolo contendere;
    8. documents relating to programs for:
      • Youthful Offender (Y.O.)
      • Accelerated Rehabilitation (A.R.)
      • Alcohol Education Program (A.E.P.)
      • Drug Education Program
      • Family Violence Education Program
      • Determination of competency to stand trial or suspension of prosecution;
    9. official receipts;
    10. judgment mittimus;
    11. notice of rights;
    12. orders regarding probation; and
    13. transaction sheet.

  3. What information is contained in a court file pertaining to a civil or family matter?

    The contents of a civil or family file depend on the nature of the case and the allegations. The file’s contents may include the following documents;

    1. The complaint, amendments to the complaint, a substituted complaint or an amended complaint;
    2. Orders of notice, appearances and officers’ returns;
    3. Military or other affidavits;
    4. Cross complaints, third-party complaints and amendments;
    5. Responsive pleadings;
    6. Memorandum of decision;
    7. Judgment file or notation of the entry of judgment and all modifications of judgment; and
    8. Executions issued and returned.

  4. Are records of juvenile matters open to the public?

  5. Generally, all records of juvenile matters are confidential in accordance with state law.



  1. What are the rules regarding sealing of court documents/closing of Superior Court courtrooms?

    Please see the Connecticut Practice Book for these rules: Sec. 11-20, Sec. 11-20A, Sec. 11-20B, Sec. 25-59, Sec. 25-59A, Sec. 25-59B, Sec. 42-49; Sec. 42-49A.

  2. How do I know when a motion to seal a file or to close a courtroom has been filed?

    A notice of motions to seal documents and to close proceedings in family, civil and housing matters is posted on the Judicial Branch website.

    For criminal cases, please see sections 42-49(e) and 42-49A(f)(1) of the Practice Book.

  3. How long is an arrest affidavit sealed?

    Please see Section 36-2(b), (c) and (d) of the Practice Book.

  4. Can I get a copy of the probable-cause document the judge referred to in court?

    Please see Practice Book section 37-12(d) which reads: "Unless the judicial authority entered an order limiting disclosure of the affidavits submitted to the Judicial authority in support of a finding of probable cause, whether or not probable cause have been found, all such affidavits, including any police reports, shall be made part of the court file and be open to public inspection and copying..."

  5. Under what circumstances would a clerk’s office or records center respond that there is no public record of a case?

    The following situations could apply:

    • nolle more than 13 months old;
    • dismissal/not guilty/acquittal that occurred more than 20 days ago;
    • the file is sealed by statute or court order;
    • defendant granted absolute pardon;
    • the case involves a juvenile.

  6. Do the state’s Freedom of Information laws apply to the court?

  7. Under state law, the state’s Freedom of Information laws apply with respect to the administrative functions of the Judicial Branch.

    The Connecticut Practice Book and state statutes govern court access, records and proceedings.

  8.  How do I find what time and where a Judicial Branch meeting will occur?

    The Judicial Branch's meetings, agendas and minutes are posted on the Judicial Branch website.



  1. What are the rules regarding cameras in Superior Court? PDF

  2. Is there anyone to whom I should submit a camera request?

    Media organizations may e-mail camera requests to and/or and they will forward the request to the judge.

  3. Can I bring in my camera cell phone?

    Yes, individuals are allowed to bring their camera cell phones into Judicial Branch facilities. However, they may not use their phone to take pictures. View a complete listing of rules regarding electronic devices in the Superior or Appellate courts. Also view Section 1-10 of the Practice Book.

  4. Can I use my laptop to take notes during a court proceeding?

    Under Practice Book Section 1-10(a), "Personal computers may be used for note taking in a courtroom. If the judicial authority finds that the use of computers is disruptive of the court proceeding, it may limit such use. Other electronic devices in court facilities are subject to policies promulgated by the chief court administrator." See The Use and Possession of Electronic Devices in Superior Court Facilities. PDF

  5. Do the Supreme and Appellate Courts have rules regarding electronic devices? Yes. Please see Section 70-9 of the Practice Book, Coverage of Court Proceedings by Cameras and Electronic Media. You will also want to review: the Protocol for Broadcasting, Televising, Recording or Photographing Oral Arguments for both the Supreme and Appellate Courts; and the Supreme and Appellate Courts’

  6. Guidelines for Possession and Use of Electronic Devices..


Juvenile/ Youthful Offender

  1. What kinds of cases are handled in Juvenile Court?

    Child protection, delinquency, and Family with Service Needs cases are handled at Connecticut’s 11 juvenile court locations, which are located in Bridgeport, Hartford, Middletown, New Britain, New Haven, Rockville, Stamford, Torrington, Waterbury, Waterford and Willimantic.

    Child Protection involves cases of neglect, termination of parental rights and emancipation. These matters typically involve the filing of an action or a petition at the Superior Court for Juvenile Matters. Usually the state Department of Children and Families – the agency responsible for investigating allegations of child abuse and neglect – files the petition.

    Delinquency: A child or youth under age 18 may be convicted as delinquent if he or she has violated any federal or state law or municipal or the violation of any order of the Superior Court other than the commission of certain infractions or violations or a motor vehicle violation for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed. See Adult and Juvenile Offenses for 16-year-olds. PDF

    In many towns, police may divert a case to a juvenile review board. These boards generally are limited to misdemeanor cases and situations where police believe the matter may be resolved with mediation or short- term intervention. Not every town has such a board.

    Family With Service Needs: Status/non-criminal offenses (that is, runaway, truancy, beyond control) committed by a juvenile before reaching 18 years of age.

  2. What is the Child Protection Session?

    Child Protection Sessions are located in Middletown and Willimantic. They serve as a statewide juvenile trial court, accepting child protection cases referred by local juvenile court judges. The referral criteria include: age of the case, significance of the action (termination of parental rights is the most important), and complexity of the case.

  3. What information is available regarding the Superior Court for Juvenile Matters?

    Generally, all records of cases in Juvenile Court are confidential under Section 46b-124 of the Connecticut General Statutes. The Judicial Branch may provide general administrative information about Juvenile Court, for example, the number of cases handled annually, budget, types of programs, etc. Information also is available on the Judicial Branch website.

  4. Where can I get basic information about the role and functions of Juvenile Court?

    Sections 46b-120 through 46b-150h of the Connecticut General Statutes may provide the basic information that you are seeking.

  5. Does the Judicial Branch operate detention centers for juveniles?

  6. The Judicial Branch operates two juvenile detention centers, one each in Bridgeport and Hartford. These are pre-trial (cases not yet adjudicated) facilities.


Contact Information

Media Inquiries: Contact Rhonda Stearley-Hebert (860) 757-2270,

Camera Requests: Contact Alison Chandler (860) 757-2270,

General Information: