The mission of the Connecticut Judicial Branch is to serve the interests of justice and the public by resolving matters brought before it in a fair, timely, efficient and open manner.

Connecticut Law about Election Law

   by Mazur, Catherine

With Election Day tomorrow, November 6th, did you know that the Connecticut Judicial Branch Law Libraries have a web page on Connecticut Election Law? The page brings together high-quality, authoritative information on the topic, including links to the Connecticut Secretary of State's website, Office of Legislative Research reports, and selected relevant statutes and regulations.

The CT Secretary of State's website also has resources available specifically for the November 6th election: General Election List of Candidates, List of Write-in Candidates, Sample Ballots, and the language of the proposed Constitutional Amendments in both English (Question 1 and Question 2) and Español (Pregunta 1 y Pregunta 2).

The Law Libraries have over 100 Law by Subject pages, covering a wide variety of Connecticut legal topics.

Audio Recordings of Court Proceedings Now Available for Purchase

   by Mazur, Catherine

From the official notice on the Judicial Branch's homepage:

Effective Nov. 1, 2018, audio recordings of Judicial Branch proceedings that occur on or after Nov. 1, 2018, and are publicly disclosable will be available for purchase at a cost of $20 per day per docket number. The rules and procedures governing access to court transcripts will govern access to audio recording.

There is additional information available about this new program in the policy and procedures regarding purchasing audio recordings.

Connecticut Superior Court Civil Procedures

   by Mazur, Catherine

Did you know the Connecticut Judicial Branch provides general procedural information on certain civil matters, such as filing a Civil Foreign Judgment, Prejudgment Remedy, and Replevin, on their Civil Procedures page? These procedures include a basic outline of the steps necessary to file the action, statutory and rule references, and links to forms, if applicable.

All posted information has been updated as of July 2018. Please note that the information is provided by the Connecticut Judicial Branch as a public service, and is not intended to be legal advice (Disclaimer).

Superior Court Records Center Closing on May 1, 2018

   by Mazur, Catherine

The Judicial Branch has posted a notice informing the public that the Superior Court Records Center will be closing effective May 1, 2018.

From the notice:

Effective May 1, 2018 the Superior Court Records Center facility at 111 Phoenix Avenue in Enfield, CT will close. The function of retrieving disposed files of the Superior Court will be transferred to Court Operations Centralized Services at 225 Spring Street in Wethersfield, CT.

As of May 1, 2018, requests for files must be made to: or 860.263.2750

Connecticut Treatise Index - Update

   by Mazur, Catherine

Wondering if there is a Connecticut treatise on contract litigation? Looking for Connecticut-specific civil discovery forms?

The Connecticut Treatise Index is a comprehensive listing of contemporary Connecticut legal treatises and form books, organized into useful subject headings. It has been recently updated to include all Connecticut materials as of February 2018.

Some examples of newly released or revised Connecticut law books you'll find in the index:

You can contact one of our twelve law libraries located throughout the state with questions about any of the materials listed in the index.

Law Library Research Guides: Civil Procedure

   by Booth, George

The Judicial Branch law librarians author and update a number of research guides on various legal topics (family law, juvenile law, property law) in addition to the following selections on civil procedure and motion practice:

You can find more civil matters research guides along with our complete collection on our Research Guides webpage.

2016 Public Acts to General Statutes Conversion Tables

   by Mazur, Catherine

The Legislative Commissioners' Office of the Connecticut General Assembly has posted the 2016 Public Acts to General Statutes Conversion Tables. If you're not already familiar with this excellent resource, these tables can be used to find where new sections of Public Acts have been codified in the statutes.

For more information, take a look at the Conversion Tables User's Guide.

Guidelines on Common Civil Legal Procedures

   by Mazur, Catherine

Did you know that the Judicial Branch has posted general instructions for some of the most common Civil court procedures on its Forms page?

Brief guidelines on the following topics are available by clicking on Civil Forms grouped by Subject:

In addition to providing an overview of the process, they also link to any applicable official forms.

The guidelines are not intended to be comprehensive, and are provided only as general information. When preparing any forms or documents to be filed in court, you should review the Connecticut Practice Book (a.k.a Court Rules), and you may also want to consider contacting an attorney with any legal questions.

FAQ: How do I change my name?

   by Mazur, Catherine

In general, an adult who wants to change their name can file an Application for Change of Name, along with an Affidavit, with their local Probate Court. The Probate Court publishes a pamphlet on the Procedure for Applying to the Probate Court for Change of Name, which provides a overview of the process.

According to Connecticut General Statutes sec. 45a-99 "(a) The courts of probate shall have concurrent jurisdiction with the Superior Court, as provided in section 52-11, to grant a change of name, except a change of name granted in accordance with subsection (a) of section 46b-63..."

As noted in the statute cited above, there is an alternative procedure for requesting a restoration of your maiden name after a divorce. For more information, see CTLawHelp's guide on How to Get Your Maiden Name Back After a Divorce.

More questions about Connecticut law on names and name change? Then visit our Law about Name Changes page for links to additional legal references and resources.

Connecticut's Elections and Security FAQ

   by Mazur, Catherine

With the November election fast approaching, the Connecticut Secretary of State has posted a FAQ about Connecticut's Elections and Security. The FAQ addresses common voter concerns about the security of voter registrations and ballots, and includes hotline information to report Election Day problems.

The SOTS also has a Voter Information page, where they link to numerous fact sheets and voter resources. Connecticut residents can check their voter registration status, get information about voter registration procedure and eligibility, and register to vote online.

And if you're looking for more information about Connecticut election law, check out our Law about Election Law page.

Special Sessions and Diversionary Programs

   by Booth, George

The Judicial Branch publishes a number of pamphlets describing the court's Special Sessions and Diversionary Programs:

Hartford Community Court Session
Domestic Violence Dockets
Drug Intervention Programs
Accelerated Rehabilitation
Supervised Diversionary Program
Alcohol Education Program
Drug Education and Community Service Program
Family Violence Education Program
Community Service Labor Program
School Violence Prevention Program
Suspended Prosecution for Illegal Sale, Delivery, or Transfer of Pistols or Revolvers
Treatment of Defendants who are Dependent on Drugs or Alcohol Instead of Prosecuting Them
Treatment of Convicted Defendants who are Dependent on Drugs or Alcohol Instead of Sending Them to Jail

See also the Law Libraries' Connecticut Law About Criminal Penalties webpage, and the Table on Fines and Penalties linked to therein.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Connecticut

   by Roy, Christopher

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a Connecticut specific web page about Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections. Besides linking to our Law about Landlord/Tenant web page, this informational page also links to relevant agencies and organizations who can provide guidance to tenants about housing discrimination laws and other matters. To find even more information, visit the HUD in Connecticut web page.

Connecticut Treatise Index - Updated

   by Mazur, Catherine

Wondering if there is a Connecticut treatise on education law? Looking for Connecticut-specific personal injury law forms?

The Connecticut Treatise Index is a comprehensive listing of contemporary Connecticut legal treatises and form books, organized into useful subject headings. It has been recently updated to include all Connecticut materials as of September 2016.

Some examples of newly released or revised Connecticut law books you'll find in the index:

You can contact one of our twelve law libraries located throughout the state with questions about any of the materials listed in the index.

Consumer Complaints -

   by Mazur, Catherine

Several of Connecticut's state agencies assist Connecticut residents with resolving issues or disputes between consumers and the entities or businesses the agency regulates. has a Consumer Complaints portal which directs the user to the appropriate agency to file their complaint.

Consumer Complaints Portal

In addition to providing complaint forms, many of the agencies also describe what type of assistance they can, and cannot, provide. For example, the Connecticut Department of Banking states:

Please note that the department's ability to take action with respect to a particular complaint is limited to situations where there is an apparent violation of those laws subject to its jurisdiction. In such cases, the department can pursue administrative remedies, injunctive relief through the office of the Attorney General or refer the matter for criminal prosecution.

FAQ: Who May Perform a Marriage in Connecticut?

   by Roy, Christopher

Who may perform a marriage in Connecticut? Connecticut General Statutes § 46b-22(a) (2016 Supp.) states the following:

Persons authorized to solemnize marriages in this state include (1) all judges and retired judges, either elected or appointed, including federal judges and judges of other states who may legally join persons in marriage in their jurisdictions, (2) family support magistrates, state referees and justices of the peace who are appointed in Connecticut, and (3) all ordained or licensed members of the clergy, belonging to this state or any other state, as long as they continue in the work of the ministry. All marriages solemnized according to the forms and usages of any religious denomination in this state, including marriages witnessed by a duly constituted Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is, are valid. All marriages attempted to be celebrated by any other person are void.

For more information, see the following research guides and reports:

In Massachusetts the "Governor can designate non-clergy individuals to solemnize a marriage, such as a friend or a family member." See One Day Marriage Designation Instructions; MA General Laws, Chapter 207; More Information. The law in New York on this subject can be found in Domestic Relations, Section 11; More Information. The law in Rhode Island can be found in Domestic Relations, Chapter 15-3.

FAQ: Smoking Policies for Apartments and Condominiums

   by Roy, Christopher

The Connecticut Department of Public Health's Smoke Free Multi-Unit Housing web page provides extensive information on and tips about the legality and implementation of smoke free policies. The documents below answer many frequently asked questions about this topic.