History of the Connecticut Judicial Seal Home Home BannerBanner

Case Look-up Courts Directories Educational Resources E-Services Juror Information Online Media Resource Center Opinions Opportunities Self-Help Frequently Asked Questions Home Attorneys Espanol menu




Civil Forms
Forms you may need to Collect on a Civil Judgment

Disclaimer: The information on this web page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Connecticut Judicial Branch. It is not intended as legal advice to any person.

If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.

Due to the changing nature of the law, the forms and information found on this web site will change from time to time. It is up to you to follow the current procedures and to file the correct, up-to-date forms.

Each court location has a Clerk's Office and many locations also have a Court Service Center that can give you help and information about court procedures. Please note, however, that Clerk's Office and Court Service Center personnel cannot provide you with legal advice.

These instructions are to help you represent yourself in collecting on a civil judgment. Legal words and court documents can be confusing. If a judgment has been entered for you and the party that owes you money has not paid, you may seek to collect on your judgment. Some information about filling out forms in connection with the collection of a judgment may make you more comfortable with the procedures when you come to court. These instructions will give you some useful information and instructions on filling out any necessary forms.

Every case is different and these instructions are to be used as a guide only; if you think you need more help you may want to get an attorney. You can also go to a Court Service Center or contact the Connecticut Network for Legal AidExternal Link - You are leaving the Connecticut Judicial Branch websiteor find additional information at the Law Libraries. Court Staff can help you understand the legal process, and while they may give you procedural information, they cannot give you legal advice.

Some forms that you may need to collect on a Civil Judgment include: 

Post Judgment Interrogatories are questions that are sent to defendants that have not paid as ordered. The person who is owed money is allowed to ask the person who owes the money several questions to see if any funds can be found. The questions on the form include questions about bank accounts, jobs, and other assets.

The Petition for Examination of Judgment Debtor and Notice of Hearing is a form that you may fill out if you are owed money by a defendant that has not paid as ordered by the court. You would fill out the form, send it to the Clerk’s Office and you would get a date for a hearing. The form would be given back to you and you would need to have a State Marshal deliver or serve the order for hearing on the defendant. At the hearing, the defendant would have to answer questions under oath about his or her income and his or her assets.

There are three types of Executions that you can seek to levy against a defendant that has not paid as ordered in a judgment. There are Property Executions, Wage Executions, and Financial Institution or Bank Executions. You file the application for execution of your choice and the accompanying exemption form and pay the fee. The fee you pay can also be collected as an amount owed to you. After you receive the completed Execution back from the Clerk’s Office, you give the Execution to a State Marshal to have it delivered to or served on the other party. There is no fee to you to have a State Marshal attempt the Execution against the debtor. The Clerk’s Office or the Court Service Center can give you a list of State Marshals. The State Marshal will let you know if the execution is levied. If the Marshal is unable to levy the execution it is necessary to return any unsatisfied execution to the Clerk’s Office.

You may go to the Court Service Center for help completing these or any other forms. Any additional procedural questions that you might have may also be directed to the staff of the Court Service Center.




Attorneys | Case Look-up | Courts | Directories | Educational Resources | E-Services | Español | FAQ's | Juror Information | Media | Opinions | Opportunities | Self-Help | Home

Common Legal Words | Contact Us | Site Map | Website Policies and Disclaimers

Copyright © 2014, State of Connecticut Judicial Branch