Isaac Fitch of Lebanon, the New London County Courthouse
first served as the city's Town Hall and Courthouse.
Built in 1784, it was described by architectural
historian William Warren as "an ambitious and expensive
undertaking for a small region in the New Republic." The
Courthouse was built to replace the courthouse burned by
the British during the American Revolution.
original structure was crowned by a distinctive cupola,
a Palladian window and fluted pilasters. American
Patriot Patrick Henry argued cases in the Courthouse and
other historical notables such as Daniel Webster, the
Marquis de Lafayette and Horace Greeley spoke there.
building originally was located at the head of State
Street in New London but in 1839 was moved back a little
to its present location at the head of Huntington
Street. The Courthouse, the oldest in Connecticut, is
also one of the oldest Courthouses in the country in
continuous use. After numerous renovations and additions
it still serves New London County and surrounding areas
in its capacity as the New London Judicial District