Responding to the growing need for more space in its public
offices, the City of New Haven opened its new City Hall on
Court Street in 1862, an Italian Gothic Revival structure
built of brownstone and designed by architect Henry Austin.
The County Courthouse, designed by David Russell Brown, was
erected 10 years later on the North side of City Hall. The
County Courthouse, also constructed of brownstone and
similar in design to the more imposing municipal building,
opened for business in 1873. The new Courthouse served a
variety of functions through the years, even housing the
Yale Law School for a period of time. It remained in service
until 1974 when all judicial matters handled there were
transferred to the Courthouse at 121 Elm Street.
Today municipal offices have replaced the old Church Street